About Me

My photo
Okanagan, BC, Canada
Welcome to my crafting blog. After retirement, my husband and I moved to a beautiful location in the Okanagan area of British Columbia. I love all paper crafts including mixed media, journaling and cards. I also dabble in papermaking, photography, fibre art, and altered books. I am an active member of several card and mixed media groups and on the design team of several challenge blog. I love the world of blogging, it has opened many doors for me. My favourite quote is by Maya Angelou. “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” I hope you join me in my search for my creative side. Thanks for stopping by!

Followers

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Altered Tin



I am back with another mixed media project for Altered Eclectics.  This month I decided to alter this large 6 sided tin I found at a thrift store. 


This is what I started with


After I had sanded the tin I painted it with gesso and added a collage layer of papers from an old drafting manual. Next I stenciled  a design on three of the tin's six sides and then used a wash of acrylic paint in greens and browns to give it an antique effect.  

My final steps were to add large leather circles to the sides of the tin from a 1970s belt that I found at a thrift store.  I used a buckle from the belt on the lid. I thought the pieces from the belt continue the industrial feeling of the piece.  I painted the belt parts with paints to give the project a more of an antique feel. 

More views of the project.




Old metal and leather belts pieces are great finds in thrift stores for mixed media industrial and steampunk projects. I think my tin belongs on a shelf in an old barn. 

Thank you for stopping by and have a creative week.  Remember to pop over to our challenge blog to view the inspiring project of our design team.  Hope you will join us. 

I am entering this project in the following challenges:

Rhedd's Creative Spirit - Mixed Media
Mixed media World - Mixed Media
SanDee & amelie's Steampunk Challenges - Anything Goes
Creative Moments - Anything Goes
The Male Room - Recycle

 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Judy, I enjoy seeing the creative ways you repurpose. The tin now is lush and lovely. Truly a one of a kind treasure. Thanks for linking to Rhedd's Creative Spirit this marvellous March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - absolutely fabulous project! Thanks for joining us at The Male Room Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love how old and timeworn this piece looks! Such a great alteration! Thank you for sharing your awesome make with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Many thanks for sharing with us SanDee's and Amelies Steampunk Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic re-cycle project :-)) Fantastic idea!
    Thanks for joining us at The Male Room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! This is fantastic. The antique look you've achieved on this tin is brilliant. A perfect example of recycling. Thanks so much for playing along with The Male Room. Deborah, DT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you have recycled your tin Judy..it looks great and something I would have on my shelf...
    Thank you so much for joining us this month at Rhedd's Creative Challenge..x

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! an incredible change in that old can. Thank you for sharing with us at The Male Room. - Faith DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous recycling of that tin. Thank you for joining us at The Male Room - Charlotte/Lady Joyful, DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your win at The Male Room. Please contact Jane about a Guest Designer spot - themaleroomcraftchallenge@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's an absolute stunner Judy! Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this tin! I want to get my feet wet with steampunk and all things related. For now I’m just enjoying the work of others and will sleep on it. Well done, very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great alteration, Judy! Those leather circles are the perfect addition to your altered tin! Love it!
    Thanks for sharing it with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete