About Me

My photo
Okanagan, BC, Canada
Welcome to my crafting blog. After retirement, my husband and I moved to a beautiful location in the Okanagan area of British Columbia. I love all paper crafts including mixed media, journaling and cards. I also dabble in papermaking, photography, fibre art, and altered books. I am an active member of several card and mixed media groups and on the design team of several challenge blog. I love the world of blogging, it has opened many doors for me. My favourite quote is by Maya Angelou. “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” I hope you join me in my search for my creative side. Thanks for stopping by!

Followers

Friday, February 4, 2022

Altered Wooden Coffee Container with Wasp Nest Paper

 Time for our first challenge of 2022 at Creative Artiste.  

Hope you will join in the fun.

Remember

 Your project must be Mixed Media and can be an ATC, tag, card, layout, altered art or an off-the-page project as long as you follow the challenge specifications. You must use at least 3 different mediums on your project to qualify for our mixed media rules.

(Find the complete set of rules on our blog.)

This is my project for this month, an altered Coffee box using among other things Paper from a found Wasp Nest.



Products I used for the project

This is the wasp nest that I found.


I purchased this old wooden coffee canister at our local thrift store.
I like using wooden canisters because they usually are lined with a plastic box inside which makes the box usuable for a lot of different purposes.  


I sanded the box and added a coat of gesso and Violet Acyrlic Paint. I added the violet paint so that if I did not have enough of the nest material the violet colour would show through.  I painted the trim around the lid a lighter shade of violet. 


I found this metal piece in  in a Thrift Store, it was a buckle of an old belt.  The other pieces of metal that I decorated the box with were also from some old metal belts from my stash. 


 I painted the metal pieces gesso.  For the buckle I painted it with Acrylic paint, Pentart  Wax Paste in blue and purple and a transparent Finishing wax. 

I used a silver coaster from my stash to give the flowers some depth. 




More views.


I added some metal feet from my stash along with my metal belt pieces. These metal pieces I rubbed with Pentart  Wax Paste in blue and purple and a transparent Finishing wax. and highlighted areas with white Acylic Paint. 







Back of the box



Thank you for stopping by .  Remember to pop over to, the Creative Artiste challenge blog to be inspired by our talented design team. Hope to see your art work here soon.

I am entering my project in the following challenges

Creative Fingers - Anything Goes
Mix it Up - Anything goes - optional twist Foil
We Love to Create - Anything Goes Mixed Media
We Love to Craft - Anything Goes
A Bit More Time to Craft - Anything Goes
Mixed Media Lovers - Anything Mixed Media


15 comments:

  1. So refreshing to see something that has been created rather than a twee digital colouring in exercise. The idea of using the wasps nest is mind blowing love it!. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the beautiful comment. I love finding different thing to alter . Love the hunt. Wasp nest paper is very interesting. Judy

      Delete
  2. What a transformation Judy you've given that old coffee box an new lease of life. I'me so intrigued by the wasp nest and how you introduced it into your upcycle *Genius* idea. The way you colour matched the embossed lilac on the buckle to the box shows how amazing you eye for detail is.. Fabulous!!
    Wishing you a creative February Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tracey for the lovely comments. I still have some paper left from the nest. I think I will create some card backgrounds while there are some larger pieces left. Have a great week. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderfully transformed coffee canister Judy. Who would have thought a wasp's nest could look so beautiful? Gorgeous colours and fabulous metal embellishments too xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a transformation! Your design looks amazing, I'm loving the lilac flower and colour details that you added - beautiful 😀. Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a Happy February! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo. Thank you for your comments. Love to create and love this group.

      Delete
  6. A stunning idea this wasp nest! What a great transformation, a unique piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prachtig wat je hebt gemaakt!
    Zp blij dat je meedoet bij Mixed Media Lovers!
    Marlies, DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another month and another wonderful creation to feast my eyes on Judy. There is always so much to look at and something new to learn. What a transformation from a simple coffee box to the wasp nest paper and your fabulous embellishments. Another beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creaine, thank you I had fun making the piece I was lucky my husband found the wasp nest for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you have altered your box Judy..x

    ReplyDelete